Asiri Central Brain & Spine Centre
Information and Coordinating Centre
This is the coordinating office for the Brain & Spine Centre and is situated on the 3rd floor of Asiri Central Hospital.
The services offered through this office are,
- Information regarding the Brain & Spine Centre and its services.
- Information on Neurosurgeons associated with Asiri Central Hospital and how to contact them.
- Information on the surgical procedures performed at this Centre and estimated costs of the procedures.
- Issuing documents regarding Neurosurgical procedures and coordinating with the President’s Fund.
- Completing documentation relating to insurance claims.
- Coordinating the transfer of patients to and from the Brain & Spine Centre.
||+94 11 466 5500
||+94 77 397 3550
ACBSC Ward Complex occupies the entire 10th floor of the 13-floor hospital. It comprises of 37 individual air conditioned rooms (except for a few which are reserved for patients who prefer not to use air conditioning), and 2 luxury rooms for patients who need more comfort. Almost 50% of the rooms have a magnificent view of the Colombo Skyline and the rest have a view of the courtyard below, which houses the cafeterias and relaxing areas for patients and visitors. (This area houses outlets from The Fab, Burger King and Fresheez).
Each individual room has an ICU type electrically operated bed, which can be adjusted to multiple positions. There is an over-bed panel, which has ports for oxygen, suction and air as in the ICU.
The skilled core team including the in-ward doctors, nurses, physiotherapists and ancillary staff are experienced in managing neurosurgical patients with all types of cerebral conditions such as head injuries, brain tumours, etc. and spinal conditions such as injuries, disc prolapse, tumours, etc. pre and postoperatively. All other types of neurological conditions are also managed in this ward.
There is an in-house physiotherapy programme which is tailor made for patients who cannot be transported to the Department of Physiotherapy.
ACBSC theatre complex is the best designed ultra modern Neurosurgery Theatre Complex in the country. It is comparable to any such complex in the world. It is a stand-alone facility with three spacious theatres catering to neurosurgery only. Approximately 1500 neurosurgical procedures are performed here annually. ACBSC being a centre catering to some of the most difficult neurosurgical patients, this theatre complex is geared to perform any complex neurosurgical procedure.
We were the first in the country to acquire a Neuronavigation Platform (Medtronic Stealth Station) in 2004, followed by the latest BrainLab Neuronavigation Platform in 2016. By the end of this year we will be acquiring the first intraoperative CT Scan (BrainLab-Aero) which will augment our surgical capabilities with intraoperative neuro and spinal navigation. From the time of establishing Neuronavigation in Asiri Hospitals, we have done more than 2500 Neuronavigation Guided surgical procedures in our theatres.
We have also been the first theatre in the country to acquire Neuro Intraoperative Monitoring Equipment (Nihon Kohden). This has the capability to help monitor the EEG wave pattern for Epilepsy Surgery and Motor and Sensory Evoked Potential Monitoring for Brain and Spinal Surgery specially to assist in removing eloquent area lesions in the brain and removal of spinal tumours and also in surgery for complex myelo and lipo meningoceles. This has allowed extremely safe neurosurgery to be performed in this theatre complex and we are proud to say that we were the first to perform “Awake Neurosurgery” and DBS insertion for Parkinson’s disease in this country. We were the first private sector hospital to perform Epilepsy Surgery in Sri Lanka and now the only hospital to continue with Epilepsy Surgery in the country.
Additionally we have the following equipment to support our high-end neurosurgery.
1. Neurosurgery Microscopes x 3
- Zeiss Pentero 900
- Moller Wedel
- Zeiss NC 4
2. Cavitron Ultrasound Aspirator (Integra) x 2
3. High Speed Neurosurgery Drill Systems x 4
4. Stereotactic Frame
In addition to the surgical equipment, we also have high-end anaesthetic and monitoring equipment necessary for highly complex neurosurgery including Awake Neurosurgery and surgery in the Seated Position for posterior fossa lesions.
Our highly skilled assisting doctors and the nurses are probably the best in the country and are capable of assisting in the most complex neurosurgical procedures. The team of Consultant Neurosurgeons and Anaesthetists are the best in the country and compare to some of the best in the world.
Appointments with Dr Sunil Perera
Consultation appointments with Dr. Sunil Perera can be obtained through a free consultation with his assistant to assess if your problem is a neurosurgical condition.
The free clinic is held at Asiri Central Hospital Clinic Room, 3rd Floor on Monday and Thursday.
Intensive Care Unit
ACBSC being a centre addressing the most complex neurosurgical conditions in the country, knows well the pivotal role the Neurosurgery ICU plays in a patient's recovery. Guided by the motto 'All our patients survive' the unit ensures even the most critical of patients are given the best chance of survival. We are proud of a 99% success rate.
The dedicated team includes highly skilled Doctors, Nurses, Consultant Neurosurgeons and Ancillary Staff tethered by two 'In-Charge' Consultant Anaesthetists working 24/7. The perfect understanding and collaboration with which the team works together is a primary reason for the unit's success rate.
Improving the service in this unit professionally and technologically, to be abreast with the best Neuro ICUs in the world, is our commitment.
High Dependency Unit
As a value addition to the Brain and Spine Centre, Asiri Central Hospital opened its 4 Bed HDU in August 2016. This is to help critically ill Neurosurgical patients in their transition from the ICU to the neurosurgical ward. The HDU provides patients who have recovered from a critical status but not yet ready to be looked after in individual wards, without constant supervision, a pathway to be managed less intensely but closely till the doctors are ready to move them to the ward. This helps the patient to know that they are on the path to recovery and also will help financially as the cost in the HDU is much less than in the ICU. However the patients are looked after by experienced ICU nurses and the HDU has monitoring equipment and other necessities to handle any emergency. Being situated next door to the Neuro ICU and the Neurosurgery theatre is an additional advantage to manage any patient in the HDU who may need urgent care.
Department of Radiology
Fully equipped with the latest technology, our Radiology unit handles the imaging and diagnostics required for your treatment and cure. Asiri Health being at the forefront of imaging research, runs this department with qualified and experienced professionals who are experts in radiology.
In addition to their expertise the medical professionals in this department are committed to providing you with a comfortable and efficient service.
What sets us apart
Take a look at the services we offer to ensure you have an all-round good experience.
- Excellence in-patient care
- Infrastructure and technology that is in line with the best in Sri Lanka
- An environment that is respectful and keen to improve human health in a caring, safe, high quality, cost efficient and timely manner
- Innovation in clinical care, imaging research and education
- Outstanding, ethical and culturally sensitive patient care
- The best clinical care using medical imaging technology and image-guided therapy
Our treatment and services
- Digital x-ray/Computerised x-ray
- Plain X-rays such as chest, abdomen and extremities
- Special investigations such as IVU (Intravenous Urography), Micturating cystourethrogram (MCUG), HSG and Sialogram
- Abdomen and pelvis
- Kidneys, uterus, and bladder (KUB)
- Obstetric ultrasonography
- 3D-4D ultrasound
- Fetal echo
- Small parts such as thyroid, salivary glands, breast and scrotum
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Colour Doppler studies
- Ultrasound guided procedures such as biopsies and FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology)
- Digital mammo with tomosynthesis (3D volume data assessed on work station) mammography complemented by ultrasound image of the breast.
- CT Scan
- CT angiogram for coronary arteries, main arteries and peripheral arteries
- Abdomen and pelvis (Cologram, KUB, Etc.)
- 3D Scan (Musculoskeletal)
- CT Guided Procedures (Biopsies / FNACs / Ablation) etc
- Abdomen and pelvis
- MRI Breast
- MRA (Contrast enhanced / non contrast)
- Joints and extremities
- DEXA Scan
- Lumbar spine
- Both Hips
- Whole Body (for fat evaluation)
- Fasting for 6 hours/Full bladder only for liquids for Ultrasound and CT scan Abdomen
- Bowel preparation has to be done for certain special investigations (CT Polography) 2-3 days prior. But patient must get prescription for this procedure
- Patients with free metallic foreign bodies cannot undergo MRI
- Patients with pacemakers/stents should consult their cardiologist before an MRI
- Patients are requested to bring all medical reports with them
- There is always a Medical Officer on call at Asiri Radiology
The common perception on physiotherapy or rehabilitation is related to disability. The truth however is that because of our sedentary lifestyles, we are more prone to injury and experience muscle or joint pains – the kind of ailments that our medical team at Asiri Physiotherapy are so well geared to assist you with.
Our team of healthcare professionals help people affected by injury, illness or disability by coaching them with regards to movement and exercise, and by providing them with manual therapy. We also offer you invaluable health education and advice aimed at preventing further injury and foster a more healthy and wholesome lifestyle.
At Asiri Physiotherapy we treat both out-patients and in-patients, with services provided daily from 7am to 7pm at Asiri Central Hospital and 8am to 7pm (Mon-Sat), 8am to 2pm (Sun) at Asiri Surgical Hospital. With your health as our foremost priority we offer you a range of physiotherapy services to meet your every need.
What sets us apart
Take a look at the facilities and services we offer to ensure that your stay with us is a restful, healthful experience. You’ll see that we really do offer you a better experience all round.
- Special programmes for senior citizens, functional rehabilitation following illness / surgery / Cardiac by-pass surgery are available for Asiri patients.
- Functional rehabilitation following illness/ surgery (Cardiac, Orthopedic and Neuro, etc.)
- Muscle strengthening and fitness programmes
- One-on-one appointments with physiotherapists
- Proper assessment of all patients before treatment and documentation of information
- Well-trained and dedicated physiotherapists with Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC) registration
- The Hydrotherapy unit at Asiri Central Hospital is the only one of its kind in Sri Lanka.
Our treatment and services
- Electrotherapy - Interferential therapy, shortwave diathermy, ultra sound therapy, electrical stimulation, traction, infrared radiation, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation.
- Wax therapy (only available at Asiri Surgical Hospital)
- Exercise therapy - Classical exercise therapy, soft tissue & spinal manipulations, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, neuro-development therapy, peripheral nerve stretching, joint mobilizations, ergonomics, massage, suspension therapy, isokinetic exerciser, cont. passive mover.
- Hydrotherapy with warm water (only available at Asiri Central Hospital)
- Visiting physiotherapists for in-ward patients 24 hours a day.
- Mobilization and rehabilitation facilities for traumatic and orthopedic conditions, neurological conditions, rheumatologic conditions, pediatric conditions, geriatric conditions, cardio-respiratory conditions and musculoskeletal injuries and conditions.
- Lung function tests (FEV Pre, FVC Post BD, FVC Post BC, SVC, MVV)
- Physiotherapists at Asiri are also capable of handling physiotherapy requirements of children (e.g. children with Cerebral Palsy), Women (prenatal exercises, postnatal conditioning & pregnancy related conditions) and sportsmen / women (ligament injuries, cartilage tear, ankle sprain, muscular tear).